Friday 18 May 2012

The World is in my pocket


I knew for sure…
That I can write impressively…
But, I felt too lazy to refer the grandiose dictionary!

I wanted to read extensively…
Almost everything that interests me…
But, the affordability concerned me!

I wished that I stay close to my friends and relatives…
I wanted to keep in touch with them however far they were…
But, how? The question posed never derived any answer!

I wanted to feed the writer in me…
I wanted the World to read my work…
But, I wondered how that could be possible!

I have been a huge movie buff…
And songs have always been a weakness…
But, I could not gather all my favorite songs in one go!

The list goes on and on…
The questions and doubts only multiplied…
And the solution remained as a puzzle!

Finally…
It came…
A mobile phone with internet connection!!!

Internet… The fastest growing network ever! It has the charm of that of a drug. Once you start using it, you get addicted to it. In a way, it has become an inevitable part of our life. Most of the times, we rely on internet to get details. That always makes me wonder how our yester year generation managed to do everything without internet!

Computer and internet was once a luxury. Now a necessity!

Internet graduated to became so integral to our daily life that we wished to be connected to it all the time. We started feeling that carrying a desktop started seeming onerous. Thus, laptops arrived. Then laptops seemed too huge. So, smart phones emerged. As more and more people started using internet, more cost effective mobile phones came into market.

And now… The world is in the pocket…
Thanks to the mobile phones with GPRS… 2G… 3G... 4G… or whatever!!

Well… I am also one among the trillions who is entwined in the mesh of internet. I am also a user of smart phone with internet connection to it.

Wow!!
Now… All my questions have fetched me answers…  How??

Well… I have relocated to quite a few places in my childhood. On account of that, I have lost contact of many of my friends. I carried their memories, but did not know how to get in touch with them. That is where social networking sites like orkut, facebook and twitter comes into picture. They update about our friends and we feel connected. I am now connected with friends whom I have not seen for a decade!

The mobile applications like whatspp and ebuddy. They help me to chat with friends who are spread across the globe. I cannot ask for more. It is more cost effective. Most importantly, we need not worry about any restrictions of only 100 sms per day and all that. We can chat as much as we want.

Then the application that helps to find the location! I travel a lot. And this particular application informs me where I have reached when I am travelling. Besides, whenever I am in a new place, some applications help me find restaurants and ATM counters.

Ok…
Now I wish to share a couple of instances where mobile internet played a very magical role…
This incident took place a year before during the peak summer. It was a time when night time was also as hot as sunny afternoon. And alas! Power went off. It was past midnight and the heat was driving me crazy. I felt so crazy that I started to Google the translations for the word “crazy” in various languages. I smiled within wondering how crazy my mind has become. That thought provoked me to search for the translations for the word “mind” in diverse languages. Eventually, I coined the conglomeration of two Spanish words… The name of my blog was thus born – LOCOMENTE!!! If power had not gone off… If that night was not that hot… If I did not have internet facility in my mobile phone… I may not be here posting all this!!!

Another amazing instance ended rather romantically. My cousin brother’s engagement was fixed in haste. The astrologer declared that the engagement has to be scheduled in a week because the next auspicious date falls after almost a month. According to our custom the groom’s family is supposed to buy the engagement sari to the bride. There was no time to courier and ensure that the sari reaches her in such a way enabling her to buy all the accessories. We were also not very aware of the likes and dislikes of our new entrant. It was now the internet enabled mobile phone came handy. My brother sent her a MMS with the pictures of our best pick. She chose her favorite from among those! Our family felt happy and the new entrant was impressed…!!!

Sometimes, mobile internet plays the role of a pal. Especially when we are alone! It fills the gap between us and the World outside. It makes us feel complete; as if the entire World rests in our pocket. I really cannot imagine a life without it, though I always wonder how we used to live without it once. It seems like that was light years before! They say change is inevitable! Today’s generation is obsessed and rather dependent on it completely. I am no exception. I am glad to admit that. After all, I am having enough fun with it. The World is in my pocket. My loved ones are held so close to my heart… What an entertaining yet informative way to have oodles and oodles of fun!!!

5 comments: